Instagram account @redefiningbeautiful.co sent me a DM a few months ago asking me 3 thought-provoking questions about my “self-love journey”.
1. 3 things you love about yourself?
2. What are your struggles in reference to loving yourself?
3. How do you overcome the challenges as it pertains to loving yourself?
After pondering over it, I gave her my answers, however, I have decided to and share an extended version of my thoughts on this topic with you…
The biggest thing I’ve had to embrace in reference to loving myself is accepting the more painful experiences in my life and allowing them to shape me for the better. Once you accept your story/journey, it becomes easier to stand by those challenging things you’ve been through.
Remember, “the only thing you can control in life is how you respond to life”.
3 things you love about yourself?…
1. I love that I serve a God that loves me unconditionally in spite of how I choose to love myself some days. His love for me outweighs my love for myself. He is the same yesterday, today and forever so His thoughts about me overrule my conditional and inconsistent views of myself.
2. I love how I’m learning to constantly challenge myself and am choosing to turn my weaknesses into strengths.
3. I love my commitment to being an independent thinker and consistently maintaining originality… I am not quick to embrace trends politically, socially or stylistically unless they truly represent who I am….
What do you struggle with regarding loving yourself?
My current struggle is trusting my decisions even when they may result in failures. I refuse to let my shortcomings determine the degree of confidence I have in my God-given abilities.
How do you overcome the challenges as it pertains to loving yourself?
Through the written word of God and by listening to The Holy Spirit that lives inside me. I also focus on allowing what He says about me to be the final say…
“In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.” – Romans 8:37
“I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…” -Psalm 139:14
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” – Isaiah 41:10
We all have challenges and face obstacles but I have truly found that it is so much more fulfilling to be grounded in The Lord. My finances may change, my status may change, my weight may change, my relationships may change…everything around me may change, but I serve a God who is constant, consistent and always has my best interest at heart. That is truly how I continue to love myself day by day…
I hope this sheds a little light on my self-love journey and helps you think about yours…
Feel free to answer these same questions for yourself in the comments below.
As always… I love you, I am praying for you and we are in this thing (called life) together!